Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Lonely Planet On Communism

I just got back from the grocery store, where I was met with incredibly long lines. I was head to head with the post-church rush.

During my family travels, I obviously spent some time leafing through the Lonely Planet. Allow me to quote a few passages about my new surroundings.

"The communist era basically dotted the landscape and cities with eyesores. The building material of choice was concrete. Vast, truly ugly panelak (concrete apartment buildings made with prefabricated panels) popped up on the outskirts of cities in both nations [Czech Republic and Slovakia], especially during the 1960s and 70s. Slovakia was particularly hard hit. The communist era left some monumentally odd structures..."
Pg. 41

"Forty-five years of communist rule was bound to leave a mark. An obsession with modern functionalism resulted in many odd, sometimes depressing structures... The entire Petrzalka concrete jungle housing estate is a good example of the communist egalitarian ethics of old. These ugly buildings all look identical."
Pg. 347


Basically this was just a cop-out from doing any creative writing of my own! More of that to come soon. I promise.

Enjoy your extra hour of sleep, loyal North American reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment