Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Note About Dress

Ahhh to be free. Once again able to blog about whatever I please.

I went out last night, for the first time in a month. I understand once again the notion of tolerance. Or my lack thereof. I awoke after a very brief sleep feeling quite well, to my surprise and delight. I drank some coffee, put on sweat pants and waded through the streets to the office, taking my usual route. I hate sitting all day so I try to walk to and from work, as the weather has made it quite bearable. It also gives me time to think.

I was struck by insight not far from my office. Although I had showered and brushed my teeth, I was still clad in extra baggy gray sweatpants and my hair fairly matted. Aside from the odd glare of contempt, I went largely unnoticed on my way to the office, ducking and weaving between giant concrete blocks. I try to catch peoples eyes, but today was, generally speaking, one unmet glance after another.

During the week, I try to look sharp. I think I catch more glances. I think I go more noticed. Maybe people are daydreaming on the weekend, window shopping for watches with egregious price tags. Not interested in a rogue passerby. I'm willing to say though that the more raggedy said passerby looks, the more likely he or she is to get glossed over.

Be conspicuous.

Off to press my pants and shine my shoes.

Casual Fridays are bullshit, if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more and well written on top of that.

    Tips hat.

    Today, I wore a polo golf shirt and creased khaki's to a lunch rendez-vous. Typically I'm in a white-t and cargo shorts.

    The ladies in Singapore took notice and I must say people noticed.

    When I'm donning scruff attire it's like I'm not there and people don't notice me like they don't notice the bum laying there, begging for change.

    That said, there is a time when one wishes to be conspicuous, just as there is a time when one wishes to be inconsipicuous.

    Con - Monaco
    Incon - Kuala Lumpur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I hadn't thought about exploiting styles of dress to serve your situation. A valid point, gentle sir.

    Thanks for finding the time to stop by!

    ReplyDelete