Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Trade Less, Read More.

I'm a student of the physical sciences. In highschool it made sense to pursue, I thought I wanted to be a doctor or a dentist, something difficult to attain. At that time in my life the other jobs that I time knew existed included: nurse, teacher and lawyer.

How my eyes have been opened. There are so many jobs that exist but with which I was previously unfamiliar. I know that I'll do whatever it takes wherever I go, it's just something I've always done.

I think I'm going to invent my own job. That is, I'm going to make my hobbies complement my job. Right now finance is demanding my attention at an alarming rate, almost to the chagrin of my job hunt. I'm trying to develop a stock trading system that will allow me to work a full time job while still working swing trades. Lucky for me being a student provides me with some time to do this. Technical analysis is the tool I'm learning to employ now to help me. I'm also reading as many blogs as possible and following the activity at Stocktwits.com. This helps give me an idea of what great traders are doing and feeling about the market. I'm hoping to refine my TA skills to help pinpoint entry and exit points, while using the advice of the best bloggers and tweeters to feel out the market and some particular stocks or (inverse) exchange traded funds.

Right now I'm reading "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" which does a pretty convincing job of debunking trading strategy. I'm enjoying the book and reading a lot. It highlights knee jerk reactions to market moves as a prime reason why day traders fail to make money. I think a sound system and the conviction to stick to it (the latter part of that statement is probably the more challenging) will be required. I'm usually pretty relaxed and laissez-faire, maybe that will help?

This being reading week and all, I'm going to try and read more and trade less. I'll let you know how it goes

Currently I am short RIG, SLG and MAC I also JUST added AFAM short.

If nothing else, writing for 20 minutes a day will hopefully be an exercise in self improvement.

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment