Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Step Back

I'll get right to the point here, I'm sure you're Sunday time is at a premium. At least mine was when I worked in the produce section of my local Loblaws, all thanks and praise to the union for that perk.

In all seriousness though, I think unions are lame sauce.

I often get caught up in the day to day. I'm excited rather easily, I must admit. But this day, hangover free, I am seeing things a little more clearly than yesterday, thank goodness. And that's the point, it's important to see things clearly. It's important to see things from different perspectives and deconstruct them in different ways.

In the last month, business has picked up quite a bit. Things are going well. The challenge is now to keep improving, while showing little patience for complacency. I'm accomplishing this with incremental goals and a clear path forward. I wish I could do it faster. But sometimes I forget why I do these things. I'm reading a GQ, something I rarely do. Not because I don't have any, but because I don't allocate the time to peruse my collection.

It's not that I want to look really fresh. Ok, well I mean, that's part of it. Maybe it's because I'm in a place where people were deprived of an environment in which they could pursue their ambitions, for so long. But looking at ads of fly suits, and reading harrowing human interest stories of brave feats, and hurdles overcome, inspires me a little bit. It reminds me of the kind of person that I want to be. I would hate for you to interpret this post as a simple "Ode to Capitalism and the Pursuit of Material Goods." That would be rather low-brow. All I'm saying, is that inspiration and motivation come on many levels. I'm positively effected by the contents of the pages; but even more so, I find myself identifying with the theme and the promise that the GQ brand exudes. It's the "Men of the Year" issue, for crying out loud (whatever that means). They're celebrating success. That's primarily why this magazine has inspired this post.

Today, this is how I find myself getting pumped up, for the week ahead. You can't control this shit, friends.

I need to always be upping my game. If I'm not, somebody else is. You see kids, it's not about the money, it's about the win. I am learning, quickly mind you, that the art of winning feels better than a pile of cash. The pile of cash is just a convenient bonus to help you get by in this harsh world we inhabit.

I'm downloading some Zig Ziglar audio books. I can always work on my closing skills. It's the most important skill set, after all. If you can't close, what good are you, I wonder?

In other news, I'd like to proclaim, with pride in my voice no less, that my "greening up postulation," summarized in detail here, is coming to fruition. Accuweather.com assured me a weekend of rain. However, it's held out so far, and I've taken advantage with long and frequent strolls around my hood, naturally. Suffice it to say, it's lush as hell outside. The realm visible from my elevated balcony is well on it's way to looking all "Hanging Garden's of Babylon." Once again, playing the bigger angle prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment