Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bus Sense

It's about time we talked about public transportation.

When I first found out I would have to rely on a bus and tram system to deliver me to my place of employment each morning, I was a tinge disappointed. Any vague perceptions I held of busses were marred by experiences with unreliable "OC Transpo" mixed with a splash of communism.

Needless to say, after arriving at work in a timely manner each day for the past month. I have been extremely impressed by the frequency and logistical precision with which the busses run. As of yet I have never had to wait more than 2 minutes longer than I expected for a bus.

It makes sense, if you think about it. Since everyone lives outside of the city centre in extremely high density residential prison blocks with limited parking and a relatively low average income it makes sense that many people would rely on public transportation to arrive the masses into and around the city. The city is also relatively small and traffic jam free.

Of course the electric trams breakdown constantly.

Other factors contributing to my overall thoughts on getting around like a commoner:
-Lots of people in the mornings and it gets hot here fast. Old Slovak men all "up in your grill" can really mess with your morning.
-I usually see at least 3 extremely beautiful girls to and from work.
-I buy a ticket 0.3% of the time.

UPDATE: Now that I wrote this I'm bound to have terrible experiences. I will update as they occur.

UPDATE II: No crack in the Slovak.

No comments:

Post a Comment