Monday, March 16, 2009

The Back Breaking Straw

First, the market:

Today was a weird day for me. I didn't feel in control like I did last week, let me explain. I thought it would be a down day, the market has gone up four days in a row. The down day didn't start until 2:00pm, however. The bull rush up until this point shook most of my confidence, although I did hold onto some commercial real estate shorts which did well. I'm going to take a look at the market after work tonight and try and figure out what my thoughts are for tomorrow. I need a better plan if I am going to let my trades ride tomorrow.

I recently had an altercation with a close friend. I think I finally experienced what it's like to see your camel keel over, by the addition of a single straw. My friend, whom we'll call Dorothy, is mad at me because I made her friend cry. I'm a terrible person right? Sure, I might have said something rude to a third party after being goaded on, and abetted for ten minutes. I also immediately apologized and resolved my issues with the third party. Dorothy just lashed out in anger. The thing Dorothy fails to realize, you see, is that exogenous, extraneous and extreme factors are always at play, shaping the worlds in which we operate. Dorothy's model of the world is simplistic and fails to acknowledge other forces at play, that are not immediately apparent. In fact, I'm privy to the knowledge that our third party friend has for quite some time, been subject to numerous other stresses that are far more complicated, urgent and contributing to her mood than a rude, blunt remark.

Other things to consider:
I've been close friends with Dorothy and the third party for 3 years.

Of course there is also the possibility that the model of reality I'm currently using to frame my thoughts in is lacking a crucial component, but I strongly doubt it.

I also ordered some books about Slovakia on the internet. I couldn't find any at my local Indigo. I'm hoping this will get me excited and learning for my new job!

Time to watch Jeopardy before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment