Sunday, August 23, 2009

Transition

Maybe it's the Counting Crows music, or the fact that Sarp isn't around. I've been in a more reflective mood as of late. It's getting to be that time of year. People in and around my age cohort are on the move. Not me.

Not returning to school in September is an odd feeling, bordering on eerie. Something I haven't experienced in 18 or so years. I'm not that in touch with my 4 year old self, so the whole experience feels relatively new. The comfort of annual routine eludes me now, and seasonality suddenly feels less significant than ever.

I look at my peers. Internships are wrapping up. Camp is almost finished. Graduate and professional programs are beginning. Unemployment and uncertainty looms for some. And others are set to return to their institutions of choice, to seal up their scholarly pursuit in whatever undergraduate discipline they've chosen to pursue.

You only need something of a roadmap. Nimble is clutch. 6 months ago I hadn't a clue I would end up in Slovakia. The opportunity was available though, I guess that's just how things go. My moves are no longer tied to a sinusoidal pattern of exams, reading weeks or summer holidays. The only world I have really known, the one I have spent the majority of my life trying to dominate, is no longer relevant. The lessons and skills I acquired though are more transferable than I might have originally thought. If I want to keep moving forward I need to remain organized and focussed. I definitely need to keep moving forward.

The real point of this blog post isn't about what I'm doing or where I'm going. I am sure that is something the month of September alone, will not determine. It's about how lucky I am. I'm incredibly fortunate to be in touch with so many amazing people who are doing so many fantastic things. I am blessed to have friends that are pursuing their own amazing endeavors all around the world. It's incredible to see people tepidly explore and adapt to the realities in which they now find themselves. Just as I want success for myself, I am incredibly interested in what you are doing and want you desperately to work hard enough to accomplish your goals. Everyone is an inspiration in their own right and if I am lucky enough to have you in my network of friends and family, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment